September 24, 2015

Nathaniel's Birth Story

It’s been about a month since the little one was born. Nathaniel Rai was born on August 18th 2015 right on his due date at 11:03PM , weighing in at 7lbs 5ozs and 20 inches. It’s been a crazy month, so I’m just getting around to writing this now. It definitely took me a few weeks to get the hang of things.

On August 16th, 2 days before my actual due date, I started getting some pretty painful cramps. They didn’t start getting closer together or any stronger so I kind of just ignored them. It also happened to be my wedding anniversary, so I went out to dinner keeping my fingers crossed that I’d hopefully not going into labor while at dinner. Luckily I made it through dinner, later at night I started getting more intense contractions that were about 10 minutes apart. They stayed that way until the next day. The next day I went on a long walk and bounced on a stability ball, trying to speed up labor a little.

Later that night, my contractions started getting stronger and closer together. By 3am I was pretty certain that I would need to go to the hospital soon. I started getting ready and by 6am was on the road headed to the hospital. I was definitely in quite a bit of pain. The hour drive felt like an eternity. I was basically rolled up in a ball because the contractions were soo strong.  I called my doctor while on the road and was admitted in Labor and Delivery as soon as I arrived at the hospital.

Once we arrived the first thing they asked if I had planned to take an epidural. I had originally planned to pass on the epidural because I heard it can slow down labor significantly. By 9am I was in so much pain, I couldn’t stop throwing up (I know TMI) I guess my body just wanted to clear everything out of my system, and I literally felt like I was going to pass out from the pain. My water broke around this time as well. My pain level had become unbearable and I ended up asking for an epidural. I felt like I couldn’t speak and my vision was blurry from the pain. Once the anesthesiologist came in and gave me the epidural and it started to work, I felt sooo much better. The nurse came into check how dilated and I was, and I was only bout 4 cm dilated, so all we could do was wait. I ended up taking a nap for a couple of hours

By 3 PM, the nurse came in to check me again and I was at 9cm dilated, with one more centimeter to go. I still wasn’t fully effaced and my gynecologist had come in to check on me and said she’d come back in a few hours to check on me again.  They had me shift positions several times because the baby’s head was positioned incorrectly and they wanted to try to reposition it. A few times the baby’s heart rate started to drop, but they were able to get it back up by repositioning me.

By 7PM, they turned off my epidural and started giving me small doses of Pitocin, which is used to speed up labor. My doctor instructed had my husband grab one of my legs, while the nurse had the other one. I still could barely feel anything even though the epidural had been turned off. I pushed for about 2 and a half hours. It felt like the most exhausting couple of hours. As time wore on, I started feeling my contractions more, and the pain was definitely starting to set in. He didn’t start crowning till 2 hours in, but I found it really difficult to push since I didn’t have much control of my lower half. Right before he came out the room filled with about 10 nurses, while their eyes were glued to the monitor. I was so nervous and had no idea what was going on. Apparently the baby’s heart rate was dropping. It took a lot of pushes until he was finally out. Normally they had the baby over to you right away to do skin to skin, but they took the baby to the nursery station because he wasn’t breathing properly. I had never been so nervous and concerned for my baby’s well being. But after what felt like the longest couple of minutes the baby started crying and they handed the baby over to me to do skin to skin.

We spent the next hour doing skin to skin and then they moved me to a postpartum recovering room. It was about 1am by this time. I honestly had never really held a newborn before, but it all came so naturally. I didn’t end up sleeping that night and just cuddled with the baby. He latched right away but only one once side and he sucked super hard that it was rather painful. The next day a lactation consultant came in and gave me some tips which were really helpful and definitely helped with breastfeeding. This was definitely a rough pregnancy, from the intense morning sickness and back pain, it was probably one of the most uncomfortable 10 months I have ever experienced, but was soo rewarding. Nathaniel is just the cutest baby; of course I’m biased! But it’s so crazy to have this little human that is completely dependent on you. I just can’t stop starring at him.
 The hospital had labor and delivery as a "lockdown floor" so they put a tracking device on the baby, and if you get it wet, or walk too close to the exits it'll set off an alarm. 
My very swollen baby, he was stuck in my pelvic bone for so long that his head ended up being really swollen. They almost had to vacuum him out.  
The swelling went down slightly, but you can see his head was still pretty swollen a few days later. 
Nathaniel's bilirubin was slightly high, so we had to take him to the pediatrician a few days after we were discharged from the hospital, so they could retest him. Thankfully after they retested him his bilirubin went down to low intermediate risk. 

1 comment:

  1. hi , so does the swelling at the end got over , or it did persist .



design + development by kelly christine studio